How should I use Otrivin to provide relief from symptoms of common cold in babies?
To help clear your child’s blocked nose due to common cold, try Otrivin (Otrivin Baby Saline, Otrivin Paediatric*, Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric*) for a simple method that gets to work quickly.
*For children aged 1-11 years.
Why is blocked nose so troublesome for babies?
It’s quite common for babies and children to have a blocked nose. A blocked nose in your little one will usually be caused by the normal mucus collecting in the nose, which they may find difficult to clear on their own.2
We all know how horrible a blocked nose from a cold can make you feel. This discomfort can be even more troublesome for babies and young children, because it can affect how they feed and sleep, making them irritable and agitated – so it is not surprising that many parents are looking for effective and safe cold remedies for their child.
How can Otrivin help my child?
For Infants, toddlers & children, Otrivin Baby Saline, which contains isotonic saline solution and aloe vera, helps providing relief in blocked nose by loosening nasal secretions, making its removal easier. It also gently cleanses and moisturises the nasal cavity. Aloe vera provides further moisturisation, thus giving a soothing effect.1
Otrivin Paediatric nasal drops (for children above 1 year of age), which contains xylometazoline, provides relief in nasal congestion due to allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, or cold. It helps to open up your child’s nasal passages by reducing any excessive nasal secretions, returning the swollen blood vessels to their normal size. It acts in 2 minutes and provide long lasting relief for up to 12 hours. Additionally, Otrivin Paediatric nasal drops offers a quick and simple method to help unblock and gently clean your child’s congested nose.4
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops provides relief in nasal congestion due to allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, or cold. A nasal decongestant specially designed for children (and babies above one years of age), it acts in just two minutes and provides long-lasting relief from nasal congestion for up to 12 hours. It also prevents dryness and irritation of nasal mucosa. This is because Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops contains xylometazoline in aqueous solution of sorbitol and hypermellose that helps prevent dryness and irritation of the nasal mucosa.3
Otrivin Baby Saline1
To administer Otrivin Baby Saline to your baby, follow these steps:
- Clean nose, remove bottle cap
- Lean forward, insert nozzle into nostril
- Squeeze bottle hard in centre once & ask your child to breathe in gently
- Remove nozzle from nostril & then release pressure on bottle. Repeat for the other nostril
- Clean nose, remove bottle cap
- Tilt head backwards
- Apply drops into nostril without the nozzle touching the nose, and remain still for a short time
- If drop misses nose completely, repeat dose. Repeat for the other nostril
The usual recommended dose for Otrivin Baby Saline is:
Children below 2 weeks: Please consult a paediatrician
Children above 2 weeks and up to 2 years with adult supervision: 1-2 drops into each nostril as needed.
Children > 2 years: 1-2 spray or drops per nostril as needed.
The usual frequency of use is 2 to 4 times a day per nostril.
Caution: Please consult your paediatrician before beginning any treatment. The frequency and duration of treatment should be strictly according to the advice of the doctor
Otrivin Baby Saline is suitable for infants, children and adults. Seek medical advice before using Otrivin Baby Saline in an infant less than 2 weeks old. For children below 11 years, Otrivin Baby Saline should be used under adult supervision.
Otrivin Paediatric Nasal Spray/ Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Nasal Drops3,4
To administer Otrivin Paediatric Nasal Drops / Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Nasal Drops to your child, follow these steps:
- Gently clean your child's nose
- Before applying the nasal drops to your child’s nose, practice your dosage control by using the bottle as dropper
- Tilt your child's head slightly back (as far as is comfortable)
- Without touching the nose, very carefully apply the drop(s) into each nostril. Keep the head tilted back for a short time to allow the drops to spread throughout the nose
- If the drop completely misses the child's nose, simply administer the drop again
- If any part of the drop gets into the nose, do not administer the drop again
- Repeat with the other nostril
- Clean and dry the nozzle before replacing it back into the bottle immediately after use
- To avoid possible spread of infection, the bottle should only be used by one person
The usual recommended dose of Otrivin Paediatric/ Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops is:
For children or babies 1-5 years of age with adult supervision: 1-2 drops into each nostril, every 8-10 hours. Do not exceed 3 applications daily into each nostril.
For children 6-11 years of age with adult supervision: 2-4 drops into each nostril, 2-3 times daily as needed. Do not exceed 3 applications daily into each nostril. The last dose can be applied before going to bed.
Caution: Otrivin Paediatric/ Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric is indicated in children aged 1 to 11 years old only under adult supervision. Otrivin Paediatric / Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric is to be used as nasal drops only. Please consult your doctor before beginning any treatment. The frequency and duration of treatment should be strictly according to the advice of the doctor.
Otrivin Paediatric / Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric should not be used for more than 10 consecutive days. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor. Prolonged or excessive use may cause stuffiness in the nose to return or worsen.
When should I consider using Otrivin for my child?
Infants, children and adults often have difficulty breathing due to a build-up of mucus, crusting and dryness of the nasal mucosa. Mucus over-production is particularly common in babies and is a symptom of nasal congestion.2
In these situations, a baby or young child may have difficulty breathing, feeding and sleeping, which can cause them to become irritable and agitated.2
Using Otrivin (Otrivin Baby Saline, Otrivin Paediatric, Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric) can help relieve nasal congestion.1,3,4 You should always consult a doctor to understand the correct Otrivin Product suitable for your child, and the required dosage and duration before starting any treatment.
- Otrivin Baby Saline Product Information Leaflet
- Otrivin Baby Nasal Aspirator_Soft Nozzle_cIFU Patient. Blocked nose in babies. Available from: https://patient.info/childrens-health/blocked-nose-in-babies-snuffles (last accessed April 2020)
- Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Nasal Drops Product Information Leaflet
- Otrivin Paediatrivc Nasal Drops PIL
Show all references