Suffering from a blocked nose? Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief nasal decongestant spray starts to unblock a congested nose in 25 seconds.2,3 The solution is applied directly inside the nose, quickly opening up the nasal passages to help relieve congestion and allowing you to breathe normally.
Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief continues to act for up to 12 hours2,4 - providing quick and long-lasting relief from nasal congestion.
How it works
Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief helps to open up the nasal passages by reducing any excessive nasal secretions and return the swollen blood vessels to their normal size. This helps to quickly relieve a congested nose and allow for normal breathing.
How to use
Using Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief is easy. Just follow these simple steps:
- Clean your nose
- Remove the bottle cap
- Lean slightly forward and insert the nozzle into a nostril
- Squeeze the bottle hard in the center once and breathe in gently at the same time. Remove the nozzle before releasing the pressure on the bottle
- Repeat for the other nostril
- Clean and dry the nozzle before replacing back the cap after use
- To avoid possible spread of infection, the spray should only be used by one person
The usual recommended dose for Otrivin nasal decongestant products is:
Spray – Adults and Children aged 12 years or more: 1 spray into each nostril, up to 3 times daily as needed. Do not exceed 3 applications daily into each nostril.
Caution: Otrivin Oxy Fast relief should not be used for more than 10 consecutive days. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor. Please consult your doctor before beginning any treatment. The frequency and duration of treatment should be strictly according to the advice of doctor.
Not recommended for use in children aged 6 to 11 years, except on the advice of a doctor.
When to use it
Otrivin Oxy Fast relief is prescribed as a nasal decongestant when you have a blocked nose due to cold, making breathing difficult. It can also be used to relieve nasal congestion caused due to a sinus infection or allergic rhinitis.
Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride USP…..0.05% w/v in a buffered aqueous solution
Preservative: Benzalkonium Chloride I.P …..0.01% w/v
Otrivin Oxy nasal spray should not be used if:
- If the child is below 6 years of age
- You are allergic to oxymetazoline or any other ingredients of this medicine
- You have undergone recent trans-nasal surgery (brain surgery where the operation was carried out through the nose or mouth); or surgery exposing the dura mater
- You are suffering from narrow angle glaucoma (increased pressure in eyes)
- You have chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis)
Check with your doctor before using Otrivin Oxy if:
- You suffer from high blood pressure, heart disease, overactive thyroid, prostate disease (prostatic hypertrophy), diabetes or phaeochromocytoma
- You are taking antidepressant medications
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding
Like other products for the relief of blocked nose, this product may give rise to sleep disturbances, dizziness, tremor in very sensitive patients. Consult your doctor if such signs prove troublesome.
Like other nasal decongestants, this product should not be used for more than 10 consecutive days. If symptoms do not improve or worsen, consult a doctor. Prolonged or excessive use may cause stuffiness in the nose to return or worsen.
Stop using this product and seek immediate medical attention if you experience sudden severe headache.
Do not exceed the recommended dose. If you forget to use Otrivin Oxy, do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one.
Do not use for more than 7 days or exceed the recommended dose.
Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief is a commonly available over-the-counter (OTC) product. When used in the recommended dose, it is usually not associated with serious side effects. However, like any other medicine, Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief may have some unwanted effects on some people. Mild side effects that may occur occasionally are local burning sensation, irritation or dryness of nasal mucosa, nausea and headache.
Other side effects which occur very rarely in some individuals are allergic reactions (skin rash/itching), blurred vision, irregular or fast heartbeats. In case you experience any of these allergic reactions, please stop using Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief and consult your doctor.
For more product related information check: Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief
- Otrivin Oxy Fast Relief Product information leaflet
- Global Datasheet Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride
- Reinecke S & Tschaikin. Investigation of the Effect of Oxymetazoline on the Duration of Rhinitis. MMW-Fortschritte der Medizin Orginal Reports No III/2005; 147:113-8.
- Pritchard S Glover M, et al. Effectiveness of 0.05% oxymatazoline nasal spray in the treatment of objective nasal congestion demonstrated to 12 h post- administration by magnetic resonance imaging. Pulmonary Pharmacology & Therapueutics 2014; 27: 121-6.
Show all references