When to use it
Otrivin Advance is prescribed as a nasal decongestant when you have a blocked nose due to cold, making breathing difficult. It can also be used to relieve nasal congestion caused due to a sinus infection, allergic rhinitis, or hay fever.
Qualitative & Quantitative Composition Each spray contains: Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride I.P. – 50 mcg
Composition: Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride I.P. – 0.05%w/w in a buffered Aqueous Solution Benzalkonium Chloride Solution I.P. – 0.01%w/w (As Preservative)
Contra-indications Otrivin Advance spray should not be used if:
- If the child is below 6 years of age
- You are allergic to oxymetazoline or any other ingredients of this medicine.
- You have undergone recent trans-nasal surgery (brain surgery where the operation was carried out through the nose or mouth)
- You are suffering from narrow angle glaucoma (increased pressure in eyes)
- You have chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis)
Precautions Check with your doctor before using Otrivin Advance if:
- You have high blood pressure,
- You suffer from a heart disease,
- You have an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism),
- You suffer from diabetes,
- You have a rare tumour of the adrenal gland that produces high amounts of adrenaline and noradrenaline (phaeochromocytoma),
- You have an enlarged prostate gland (prostatic hypertrophy),
- You are taking certain medicines used for the treatment of depression. These medicines are: - monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI): do NOT use this product if you are taking or have been taking MAOIs within the last 14 days, - tri-cyclic and tetra-cyclic antidepressants.
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Like other products for the relief of blocked nose, this product may give rise to sleep disturbances, dizziness, tremor in very sensitive patients. Consult your doctor if such signs prove troublesome.
Like other nasal decongestants, this product should not be used for more than 10 consecutive days. If symptoms do not improve or worsen, consult a doctor. Prolonged or excessive use may cause stuffiness in the nose to return or worsen.
Stop using this product and seek immediate medical attention if you experience sudden severe headache. Do not exceed the recommended dose. If you forget to use Otrivin Advance, do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one. Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Otrivin Advance when used in the recommended dose is usually well tolerated. However, like any other medicine, Otrivin Advance may have some unwanted effects on some people.
- Common side effects: nasal dryness and discomfort, sneezing. - Uncommon side effects: dry mouth, stomatitis, dry throat and irritation. - Rare side effects: Headache, insomnia, sedation, anxiety, irritability, nausea, hypertension, irregular heart rate, increased heart rate. - Very rare side effects: Restlessness, Somnolence, Fatigue.
Stop taking Otrivin Advance and tell your doctor immediately if you experience any of the above, because Otrivin Advance is not suitable in these circumstances.
For more product related information check: Otrivin Advance