Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Nasal Drops helps to provide relief from nasal congestion due to allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, or cold. A nasal decongestant specially designed for kids (and babies above one years of age), it acts in just two minutes.5,6 and provides long-lasting relief from nasal congestion for up to 12 hours.5,6 It also prevents dryness and irritation of nasal mucosa. This is because Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric has a balanced pH within the range found in the nasal cavity. It contains Sorbitol, which is a soothing agent that helps prevent dryness and irritation of the nasal mucosa.3
How it works
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric is formulated with a decongestant suitable for children that will help to open your child’s nasal passages by reducing any excessive nasal secretions and return the swollen blood vessels to their normal size, thus quickly relieving a blocked nose and allowing normal breathing.4 The decongestant is in an aqueous solution of sorbitol and hypermellose. Hypermellose has high water retention and thickening properties. Sorbitol helps to retain water. Together in aqueous solution they prevent drying and irritation of nasal mucosa and provides further moisturisation.3
How to use
Follow these simple steps to use Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric:
- Gently clear your child's nose
- Before applying the nasal drops to your child’s nose, practice your dosage control by using the bottle as dropper
- Tilt your child's head slightly back (as far as is comfortable)
- Without touching the nose, very carefully apply the drop(s) into each nostril. Keep the head tilted back for a short time to allow the drops to spread throughout the nose
- If the drop completely misses the child's nose, simply administer the drop again
- If any part of the drop gets into the nose, do not administer the drop again
- Repeat with the other nostril
- Clean and dry the nozzle before replacing it back into the bottle immediately after use
- To avoid possible spread of infection, the bottle should only be used by one person
The usual recommended dose of Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops is:
For children or babies 1-5 years of age with adult supervision: 1-2 drops into each nostril, every 8-10 hours. Do not exceed 3 applications daily into each nostril.
For children 6-11 years of age with adult supervision: 2-4 drops into each nostril, 2-3 times daily as needed. Do not exceed 3 applications daily into each nostril.
The last dose can be applied before going to bed.
Caution: Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric is indicated for children aged 1 to 11 years old only under adult supervision. Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Nasal Drops is to be used as nasal drops only. Please consult your healthcare practitioner before beginning any treatment. The frequency and duration of treatment should be strictly according to the advice of healthcare practitioner.
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric should not be used for more than 10 consecutive days. If symptoms persist, consult your healthcare practitioner. Prolonged or excessive use may cause stuffiness in the nose to return or worsen.
When to use it
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops is prescribed when a child gets blocked nose due to allergic rhinitis, making breathing difficult. It can also be used to help your child get relief from nasal congestion due to cold or sinusitis.
Xylometazoline Hydrochloride I.P…..0.05% w/v + Sorbitol solution (70%) in aqueous medium with HPMC (2.0% w/v)
Preservative: Benzalkonium Chloride I.P …..0.01% w/v
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Nasal Drops should not be used if:
- Child is below 1 year of age.
- Child is allergic to xylometazoline or any other ingredients of this medicine
- Child has undergone recent trans-nasal surgery (brain surgery where the operation was carried out through the nose or mouth)
- Child is suffering from narrow angle glaucoma (increased pressure in eyes)
- Child has chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis).
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric, should be used with caution in children showing a strong reaction to adrenergic substances, as manifested by signs of insomnia, dizziness, tremor, cardiac arrhythmias or elevated blood pressure. Consult your doctor if such signs prove troublesome.
Otrivin Moisturising should be used with caution in case of any of the below mentioned condition/s:
- Hypertension, cardiovascular disease
- Hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, phaeochromocytoma
- Prostatic hypertrophy
- Taking or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) in the last two weeks Or taking tri-cyclic and tetra-cyclic antidepressants.
In case suffering from any of the above-mentioned condition/s, please consult your doctor before using Xylometazoline nasal drops.
Do not exceed the recommended dose.
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric is a commonly available over-the-counter (OTC) product. When used in the recommended dose, Otrivin is usually not associated with serious side effects. However, like any other medicine Otrivin may have some unwanted effects on some people. Mild side effects that may occur occasionally include local burning sensation, irritation or dryness of nasal mucosa, nausea and headache.
Other side effects which occur very rarely in some individuals are allergic reactions (skin rash/itching), blurred vision, irregular or fast heartbeats. If your child experiences any of these allergic reactions, please stop using Otrivin and consult your doctor.
For more product related information check: Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops
- Allergic rhinitis - Wikipedia
- NICE CKS. Allergic rhinitis. Available from https://cks.nice.org.uk/allergic-rhinitis#!backgroundSub:2 (last accessed March 2020)
- Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Product Information Leaflet
- Xylometazoline Nasal: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
- Global Datasheet Xylometazoline
- Eccles R & Eriksson M. The nasal decongestant effect of xylometazoline in common cold. Am J of Rhinol 2008; 22(5); 491-6.
Show all references