When to use it
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops is prescribed when a child gets blocked nose due to allergic rhinitis, making breathing difficult. It can also be used to help your child get relief from nasal congestion due to cold or sinusitis.
Xylometazoline Hydrochloride I.P…..0.05% w/v + Sorbitol solution (70%) in aqueous medium with HPMC (2.0% w/v)
Preservative: Benzalkonium Chloride I.P …..0.01% w/v
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric Nasal Drops should not be used if:
- Child is below 1 year of age.
- Child is allergic to xylometazoline or any other ingredients of this medicine
- Child has undergone recent trans-nasal surgery (brain surgery where the operation was carried out through the nose or mouth)
- Child is suffering from narrow angle glaucoma (increased pressure in eyes)
- Child has chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis).
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric, should be used with caution in children showing a strong reaction to adrenergic substances, as manifested by signs of insomnia, dizziness, tremor, cardiac arrhythmias or elevated blood pressure. Consult your doctor if such signs prove troublesome.
Otrivin Moisturising should be used with caution in case of any of the below mentioned condition/s:
- Hypertension, cardiovascular disease
- Hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, phaeochromocytoma
- Prostatic hypertrophy
- Taking or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) in the last two weeks Or taking tri-cyclic and tetra-cyclic antidepressants.
In case suffering from any of the above-mentioned condition/s, please consult your doctor before using Xylometazoline nasal drops.
Do not exceed the recommended dose.
Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric is a commonly available over-the-counter (OTC) product. When used in the recommended dose, Otrivin is usually not associated with serious side effects. However, like any other medicine Otrivin may have some unwanted effects on some people. Mild side effects that may occur occasionally include local burning sensation, irritation or dryness of nasal mucosa, nausea and headache.
Other side effects which occur very rarely in some individuals are allergic reactions (skin rash/itching), blurred vision, irregular or fast heartbeats. If your child experiences any of these allergic reactions, please stop using Otrivin and consult your doctor.
For more product related information check: Otrivin Moisturising Paediatric nasal drops