When to use it
Otrivin Paediatric nasal drops is prescribed when a child gets blocked nose due to cold, allergic rhinitis, or sinus infection, making breathing difficult. It can also be used to help your child avoid keeping their mouth open while sleeping, which may happen due to a blocked nose.
Xylometazoline Hydrochloride I.P…..0.05% w/v in an aqueous isotonic solution using Purified Water I.P…Q.S.
Preservative: Benzalkonium Chloride I.P …..0.01% w/v
Otrivin Paediatric nasal drops should not be used if :
- The child is below 1 year old
- Child is allergic to xylometazoline or any other ingredients of this medicine
- Child has undergone recent trans-nasal surgery (brain surgery where the operation was carried out through the nose or mouth)
- Child is suffering from narrow angle glaucoma (increased pressure in eyes)
- Child has chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis)
Otrivin Paediatric, should be used with caution in children showing a strong reaction to adrenergic substances, as manifested by signs of insomnia, dizziness, tremor, cardiac arrhythmias or elevated blood pressure. Consult your doctor in case of any such signs/symptoms.
Otrivin should be used with caution in below mentioned condition/s:
- Hypertension, cardiovascular disease
- Hyperthyroidism, Diabetes, Phaeochromocytoma
- Prostatic Hypertrophy
- Taking or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) in the last two weeks or taking tri-cyclic and tetra-cyclic antidepressants.
In case suffering from any of the above-mentioned condition/s, please consult your doctor before using Xylometazoline nasal drops.
Do not exceed the recommended dose. If you forget to use Otrivin Paediatric, do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten one.
Otrivin Paediatric is a commonly available over-the-counter (OTC) product. When used in the recommended dose, Otrivin Paediatric is usually not associated with serious side effects. However, like any other medicine Otrivin Paediatric may have some unwanted effects on some people. Mild side effects that may occur occasionally include local burning sensation, irritation or dryness of nasal mucosa, nausea and headache.
Other side effects which occur very rarely in some individuals are allergic reactions (skin rash/itching), blurred vision, irregular or fast heartbeats. If your child experiences any of these allergic reactions, please stop using Otrivin Paediatric and consult your doctor.
For more product related information check: Otrivin Paediatric Nasal Drops