When to use it
Otrivin Moisturising Adult nasal drops is prescribed when you get a blocked nose due to allergic rhinitis, making breathing difficult. It can also be used to help you get relief from nasal congestion due to cold or sinusitis.
Xylometazoline Hydrochloride I.P....0.1% w/v + Sorbitol Solution (70%) I.P...2.0% w/v (Non-crystallising) in an aqueous buffered vehicle containing Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
Preservative: Benzalkonium Chloride I.P …..0.01% w/v
Otrivin Moisturizing Adult Nasal Drops should not be used if:
- If the child is below 12 years of age.
- You are allergic to xylometazoline or any other ingredients of this medicine
- You have undergone recent trans-nasal surgery (brain surgery where the operation was carried out through the nose or mouth)
- You are suffering from narrow angle glaucoma (increased pressure in eyes)
- You have chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis).
Otrivin Moisturizing Adult, like other sympathomimetic agents, should be used with caution in patients showing a strong reaction to adrenergic substances, as manifested by signs of insomnia, dizziness, tremor, cardiac arrhythmias or elevated blood pressure. Consult your doctor if such signs prove troublesome.
Otrivin Moisturizing should be used with caution in case of any of the below mentioned condition/s:
- Hypertension, cardiovascular disease
- Hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, phaeochromocytoma
- Prostatic hypertrophy
- Taking or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) in the last two weeks Or taking tri-cyclic and tetra-cyclic antidepressants.
In case suffering from any of the above-mentioned condition/s, please consult your doctor before using Xylometazoline nasal drops.
Do not exceed the recommended dose.
Otrivin Moisturising Adult is a commonly available over the counter (OTC) product. When used in the recommended dose, Otrivin is usually not associated with serious side effects. However, like any other medicine Otrivin may have some unwanted effects on some people. Mild side effects that may occur occasionally include local burning sensation, irritation or dryness of nasal mucosa, nausea and headache.
Other side effects which occur very rarely in some individuals are allergic reactions (skin rash/itching), blurred vision, irregular or fast heartbeats. If you experience any of these allergic reactions, please stop using Otrivin and consult your doctor.
For more product related information check: Otrivin Moisturizing Adult