Otrivin Moisturising Adult nasal drops helps to provide relief from nasal congestion, e.g. due to allergic rhinitis, a type of allergy that is caused by the immune system becoming sensitized and overreacting to a harmless substance known as an allergens1. A nasal decongestant for adults, it acts in just two minutes.4,5 and provides long-lasting relief from nasal congestion for up to 12 hours.4,5 It also prevents dryness and irritation of nasal mucosa. This is because Otrivin Moisturising Adult nasal drops contains sorbitol and hypermellose.2
How it works
Otrivin Moisturising Adult is formulated with a decongestant suitable for Adults that will help to open your nasal passages by reducing any excessive nasal secretions and return the swollen blood vessels to their normal size, thus quickly relieving a blocked nose and allowing normal breathing.4 Otrivin Moisturising Adult contains decongestant xylometazoline in an aqueous solution of sorbitol and hypermellose. Hypermellose has high water retention and thickening properties. Sorbitol helps to retain water. Together in aqueous solution they prevent drying and irritation of nasal mucosa and provides further moisturisation.5
How to use
Follow these simple steps to use Otrivin Moisturising Adult:
- Gently clear your nose
- Tilt your head slightly back (as far as is comfortable)
- Without touching the nose, very carefully apply the drop(s) into each nostril. Keep the head tilted back for a short time to allow the drops to spread throughout the nose
- If the drop completely misses the nose, simply administer the drop again
- If any part of the drop gets into the nose, do not administer the drop again
- Repeat with the other nostril
- Clean and dry the nozzle before replacing it back into the bottle immediately after use
- To avoid possible spread of infection, the bottle should only be used by one person
The usual recommended dose of Otrivin Moisturising Adult nasal drops is:
For adults and children above 12 years of age: 2-4 drops into each nostril, 2-3 times daily as needed. Do not exceed 3 applications daily into each nostril. The last dose can be applied before going to bed.
Caution: Please consult healthcare practitioner before beginning any treatment. The frequency and duration of treatment should be strictly according to the advice of healthcare practitioner. Otrivin Moisturizing Adult should not be used for more than 10 consecutive days. If symptoms persist, consult your healthcare practitioner. Prolonged or excessive use may cause stuffiness in the nose to return or worsen.
When to use it
Otrivin Moisturising Adult nasal drops is prescribed when you get a blocked nose due to allergic rhinitis, making breathing difficult. It can also be used to help you get relief from nasal congestion due to cold or sinusitis.
Xylometazoline Hydrochloride I.P....0.1% w/v + Sorbitol Solution (70%) I.P...2.0% w/v (Non-crystallising) in an aqueous buffered vehicle containing Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
Preservative: Benzalkonium Chloride I.P …..0.01% w/v
Otrivin Moisturizing Adult Nasal Drops should not be used if:
- If the child is below 12 years of age.
- You are allergic to xylometazoline or any other ingredients of this medicine
- You have undergone recent trans-nasal surgery (brain surgery where the operation was carried out through the nose or mouth)
- You are suffering from narrow angle glaucoma (increased pressure in eyes)
- You have chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis).
Otrivin Moisturizing Adult, like other sympathomimetic agents, should be used with caution in patients showing a strong reaction to adrenergic substances, as manifested by signs of insomnia, dizziness, tremor, cardiac arrhythmias or elevated blood pressure. Consult your doctor if such signs prove troublesome.
Otrivin Moisturizing should be used with caution in case of any of the below mentioned condition/s:
- Hypertension, cardiovascular disease
- Hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, phaeochromocytoma
- Prostatic hypertrophy
- Taking or have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) in the last two weeks Or taking tri-cyclic and tetra-cyclic antidepressants.
In case suffering from any of the above-mentioned condition/s, please consult your doctor before using Xylometazoline nasal drops.
Do not exceed the recommended dose.
Otrivin Moisturising Adult is a commonly available over the counter (OTC) product. When used in the recommended dose, Otrivin is usually not associated with serious side effects. However, like any other medicine Otrivin may have some unwanted effects on some people. Mild side effects that may occur occasionally include local burning sensation, irritation or dryness of nasal mucosa, nausea and headache.
Other side effects which occur very rarely in some individuals are allergic reactions (skin rash/itching), blurred vision, irregular or fast heartbeats. If you experience any of these allergic reactions, please stop using Otrivin and consult your doctor.
For more product related information check: Otrivin Moisturizing Adult
- Allergic rhinitis - Wikipedia
- Otrivin Moisturising Adult Product Information Leaflet
- Xylometazoline Nasal: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
- Global Datasheet xylometazoline.
- Eccles R & Eriksson M. The nasal decongestant effect of xylometazoline in common cold. Am J of Rhinol 2008; 22(5); 491-6.
Show all references